The Mind Reader
Fixing the shepherd with an icy gaze the king raised a single finger. Quicker than a bolt of lightning, the shepherd held up two. The king guffawed with delight. The courtiers around laughed too, though puzzled by the odd exchange.
- What did the shepherd do when the king raised his finger?
- Why did the courtiers laugh although they did not understand the odd exchange between the king and the shepherd?
- What does guffaw mean?
- A loud laughter
- An angry yell
- A surprised smile.
Fill in the Blanks
- Write a letter to your elder brother who is studying in Ohio, United States, describing your new pet dog that has become the family’s sweetheart since it was brought home a week ago. You are Munna, 3/88, Green Park, Delhi – 65.
- Alia is your neighbor and best friend. Recently she has won an international award for her music performance in Montreal, Canada. Write a letter congratulating her on her achievement and thanking her for mentioning your name in the interview shortly after the award ceremony. You are Vimal Johar, 550/A, Greater Kailash, New Delhi – 22.
Articles – A, an, the, no article (x)
- Can you let me use ____ car you bought last week?
- Keep it with you. It is ____ useful book.
- Last night I dreamed ____ one-eyed monster.
- ____ woman you are looking for is my sister.
- We met at ____ breakfast table
- How much does ____ eunuch in Delhi earn on a busy day?
- He sold his car to become ____ LD clerk.
- For his literary contributions, Ruskin Bond could be called ____ Tolkein of India.
- Alexander’s army took several days to cross ____ Indus River.
- Bismillah Khan has earned all his fame on ____ shehnai.
Fill in the blanks with a or an:
- ____ LLB.
- ____ MBBS.
- ____ DDA flat.
- ____ ENT Specialist.
- ____ FRCC.
- ____ HIV patient.
- ____ IAS officer.
- ____ NDA Minister.
- ____ OET trainer.
- ____ RSS feeder.
V1 V2 V3
- Go ____ Gone.
- Eat Ate ____.
- Spread Spread ____.
- Cut ____ _____.
- Broadcast _____ Broadcast
- Read ____ Read.
- Come ____ _____
- Dream ____ Dreamed.
- Lie Lay ____
- Lay Laid ____
- Her mother and her friends ____ coming to dine with us.
- Each boy ____ my friend.
- Price of vegetables ____ rising.
- Either of the friends ____ missing.
- Neither Shiela nor Ravi ____ alive today.
- I didn’t ____ (knew/know) his name so I asked.
- Did you ____ (understand/understood) the formula?
- They didn’t ____ (like/liked) the joke.
- One of my cousins ____ (live/lives) in the village.