It is a science fiction. Irvana, her parents and four other highly educated families are going to the planet called Othgar, far away from the solar system. The story moves around their settlement and the adventures involved.
Irvana and her mother Kaylar were tired of the pollution and the noises of the city they lived. Besides, the WW III was being fought. Being asthmatic, the family – Irvana, mother and father – decided to settle down on another planet, Othgar, which was discovered in 2140. Having reached the planet, Irvana fell in love with the planet. The air was cleaner than any air she had breathed in the cities of the earth.
Questions for Practice (Answers Below)
- At the beginning, what tells us we are reading a science fiction story?
- Why was asthma not curable by 2030 even when cancers were effectively checked? (40 words)
- ‘Irvana’s family was an ideal choice for colonization.’ Do you agree with it? Explain. (40 words)
- What were the duties assigned to the Fastin family? (40 words)
- What similarities did Othgar share with the earth? (60 words)
- What scientific name did Irvana call the round little creature? Why that name? (40 words)
- Why did Irvana want Gelandian go unnoticed by the little kids in her colony?
- Do you think that the futuristic imagination of the writer will be a reality by the year 2140? Why do you think so? (100 words)
Although migration to another planet will be real by the year 2500, it is hard to think of it being real by 2140. Human beings have conquered great heights in science and technology, but we have yet to invent space craft that can transport us to a better planet.
- How did Irvana and Leena make a trap for another Gelandian?
- Of what mysterious sight did Irvana’s eyes catch sight? Why did she think that her medicines were messing with her mind?
- What was Irvana’s sudden revelation about the mysterious creature she had seen? OR
What made Irvana think that the medical scanner failed to scan the mysterious creature she was searching for?
- “They packed up their gear, and turned their speeders to Othis.” Here:
- Gear is:
- The scanner
- Speeders are:
- Steer ring
- Othis is:
- Another planet
- The name of their colony.
- Gear is:
- Define the following terms used in the story:
- Nanny Droid
- Skin melder
- Imagine that there is a completely invisible planet between Jupiter and Saturn. Although it is completely invisible from its space, it is not really invisible when one lands on its surface. More precisely, Imagine you are flying to this The Invisible Planet to set up a colony with some of your friendly families. What preparations will you make after landing? Write a short story with a title, “My 4 Days on the Planet IP.”
- You are Irvana. After rescuing Gelandian, now you are looking for some interest in taking care of the creature. Write a public notice announcing the same.
- Complete the following story developing on the hints given:
- Title – The Space Detectives
- Characters – Officer Irvin Sharma, Officer Ali Joseph
- Plot – International criminal Lori has escaped to the space in a rocket. The two detectives follow him to the space. Will they get him? How will Lori survive? His food? Will he die there? If the officers reach him, how will they make him surrender?
- Starting – “Friday morning woke up with a very interesting news. The news made half of the Americans laugh, many of them wonder and three of them desperate, dejected and lost.”