Yes, writing an invitation has become a little difficult these days. This is because now we have got hundreds of occasions and ceremonies – birthdays, marriages, anniversaries, jubilees, send-offs, receptions, public programs, inaugurations, etc.
In this lesson, you will be able to understand and write various kinds of invitations like the following:
- Formal Invitation cards for weddings and public functions;
- Formal invitation letters inviting dignitaries and celebrities;
- Formal reply accepting or declining a formal invitation;
- Informal Invitations
- Informal replies to informal invitations.
S a m p l e I n v i t a t i o n s
Sample 1 – Wedding Invitations
Mr. & Mrs. Smiths
cordially solicit your benign presence
on the occasion of the marriage of their daughter
(s/o Mr. & Mrs. Fernandes)
on Monday, 21st March, 2018 at
Mount Everest Hotel, New Delhi
07 30 PM – Temple Services
08 00 Reception of the Bridegroom
(Followed by Dinner & Music Concert)
Mr. Gopal Fernandez
91 – 98×1122334
With Best Complements from
Friends and staff of ANC Chemicals, New Delhi.
A detailed route-map overleaf
|Before you proceed to more samples, read this very very carefully. I am Biju John, head of the English Section, Kiddingtown. Here are some Dos and Don’ts for tomorrow’s exam.|
|50 Golden Rules for Tomorrow|
|The Best Advice|
Buy our Exam Packs (50 Rupees Only!) from Amazon. Read on your Mobile Phone.
Sample 2 – Founder’s Day
The Principal, staff and students of
Townvale Public School
cordially invite your presence on the occasion of the
on 21st December, 2012, Monday,
from 05.00 pm to 09.00 pm at
King’s Stadium, Model Town.
Honorable E M Sridharan
will be our proud guest of honor for the day.
(Kindly be seated before 4.50.
This invitation admits only three people)
A detailed rout map is overleaf.
Sample 3 – Invitation to attend Seminar
Students of Class 12 are cordially invited to a
One-Day Seminar to discuss the English Course
The seminar, titled
will be held at Vidhya Mandir Campus, Rohini
on the 2nd of March 2018
from 10am to 5pm.
Participants will receive a copy of the
Exam Pack 12 Core 2018
RSVP – Ms. Sonya Mehra
Sample 4- Wedding Invitation 2
Mrs. and Mr. Ashok Jain
cordially solicit your benign presence
on the auspicious occasion of the marriage of their son
(D/o Mrs. and Mr. Sameer Phogat)
on the 23rd of April, 2012, Monday, evening at
Rajouri Park Hotel, Rajouri Garden, Delhi.
— PROGRAM —
Baraat : 08:30
Grand Dinner : 11:30
Best Complements from
Mahesh, Peter and Pinku
|Want to add 20 Marks to your English?Exam Pack – Invisible Man will do magic. It has all that you want – Notes, summary, character sketches, incidents, quote-based questions.|
BUY NOW @ ₹ 50 today!
Sample 4 – Inviting a Dignitary 1
Lord Budha School
Silver Lane, Dispur – 88
Subject – Invitation to grace the occasion of school’s anniversary celebrations.
Principal of Lord Buddha School, Dispur, cordially invites Mr. Rahul Gandhi, Honorable Prime Minister, to the closing day celebrations of the school’s 300th Anniversary in the month of December, preferably in the second half of the month. The entire school hopes that the honorable Prime Minister would definitely keep a part of his very precious time for this noble cause and appreciate an early reply from his office.
Ms. Sukanya, Principal
Accepting the Invitation
|Mr. Rahul Gandhi feels privileged to be invited to inaugurate the closing day celebrations of the 300th Anniversary of Lord Buddha School, Gaya. With cheers for the programs, he accepts the invitation and confirms his availability from 2 pm to 5 pm, Saturday, 12 March.|
Reply – Declining
|Mr. Rahul Gandhi, the honorable Prime Minister feels privileged to be invited to inaugurate the closing day celebrations of the 300th Anniversary of Lord Buddha School, Gaya. He would have been equally glad to accept the invitation but he deeply regrets his unavailability due to a foreign program in the same month. However, he wishes all success for the program.|
Inviting a Dignitary – Reply Accepting
|Thank you for your invitation dated 1 March asking the undersigned to inaugurate the seminar on the Role of Young Scientists in the scientific progress of our country. I feel happy to convey my consent to inaugurate the seminar and to interact with young scientists of your school.|
Accepting an Invitation
You are Mr. Rajendra Nagpal. Having received an invitation from Chennai Books to inaugurate its commemoration of 25 Years of Growth, you feel pretty confused and helpless about accepting the invitation because you will be out of town during December. Write a reply to Chennai Books explaining the situation and expressing your willingness if the program could be organized in November or January. (Letter Style)
|Mr. Rajendra Nagpal expresses his heart-felt gratitude for your kind invitation to inaugurate the company’s 25 years of growth to be held on 25th January, 2017, Monday at the Chennai Stadium Complex. Unfortunately Mr. Nagpal will have to be out of town for a prearranged program on this auspicious day. However, he will be glad to accept the invitation if the program could be rescheduled three days earlier or five days later.|
Next – Styling a Formal Invitation
Follow these simple steps before you attempt a question on invitation.
Step 1 – Formal or Informal?
- Formal Invitation are generally sent on occasions such as grand weddings, anniversaries and mass functions involving a big crowd of invitees.
- Formal Invitations are sent to individuals for a less grand function such as a formal wedding anniversary, formal alumni meeting, etc. In this kind of invitation, we write, “Mr. Arvind Malhotra cordially seeks the pleasure of Mr. and Mrs. Singh, on the auspicious occasion of….”
- Write as if it is written by a third person. It is not, “I and my wife invite you to our son’s wedding” but, “Mr. and Mrs. Malhotra cordially solicit the presence of Mr. and Mrs….”
Step 2 – It is a formal invitation but I don’t know which format to be followed!
After deciding the kind of invitation in question, decide the format.
- Formal Printed Invitations – Card Format
- Formal invitations – Letter Format
- Formal replies – Accepting and Declining
- Informal Invitations – Letter format
- Informal Replies
Dos and Donts.
- Do not use I, we, and you and their other forms.
- Follow the letter format with from address and date but no need to write salutation such as, dear, sir, etc.
- Begin with the host’s name, such as, “Mr. Peter is glad to invite Mr. Alexander…”
- For invitations inviting dignitaries as judges or chief guests, it is just a single paragraph.
- No I, We, You. Only Third Persons
- Write inside a box.