Syllabus – 2018
Literature – 30 Marks
- Two Gentlemen of Verona
- A Shady Plot
- Mrs. Packletide’s Tiger
- Patol Babu
- The Letter
- Virtually True
- The Frog and the Nightingale
- The Rime of Ancient Mariner
- Not Marble, nor the Gilded Monuments
- The Dear Departed
- Julius Caesar
Number of questions and marks
|Total Q||Qs to Attempt||Section||Total marks|
|2||1||Poetry||1 x 4 = 4|
|5||4||Prose||2 x 4 = 8|
|2||1||Any||1 x 8 = 8|
|1 x 10 = 10|
Grammar Section – 30 Marks
- Avoiding Repetition
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Active and Passive
- Reported Speech
Sample Paper – Two Gentlemen of Verona
Every time I watch a movie like Pink where the most innocent woman is harassed, raped and brutally dealt with by men, I feel disappointed. I am a man who feels insecure in this world because I have no voice to tell the world that I do not mean to harass any woman, rape any woman or beat my wife or burn my maid-servant.
Why are film-makers after men? Why do they turn this fragile social crisis into money? Shouldn’t they have to raise their voice against the judiciary rather than making every little girl feel like hating men? I hate these film-makers because they live such a vicious life – alcohol, drugs, sex, what not! – and then produce such movies to ruffle the fragility of human emotions.
Has anyone made a movie on the insecurity-side of men in the world? Be it Saudi Arabia, India or London, men are under suspicion’s scanner. Man, oh, man, if you are slapped by a woman for not a mistake of yours, you will not be able to prove your innocence because media have silenced you. If a woman of low bringing up happened to publicly accuse you of rape, you will be first beaten up, dragged to jail and will be released after a while. The pain and shame will never let you sleep thereafter.
- Why does the writer feel disappointed after watching a woman-oriented movie? (2 marks)
- What for does the writer hate film-makers? (2 marks)
- What does the writer mean by the ‘insecurity’ that men face in most parts of the worlds? (2 marks)
- How much do you agree with the writer’s view? Support your opinion. (2 marks)
Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
- Cricket is a global passion, played everywhere from Test match arenas to village greens, tropical beaches and dusty back lots. Cricket is the world’s second most popular spectator sport after football.
- The origin of cricket is somewhere in the Dark Ages. All research concedes that the game derived from a very old, widespread and uncomplicated pastime by which one player served up an object, be it a small piece of wood or a ball, and another hit it with a suitably fashioned club. Cricket was first recorded in 16th-century England, and it was played in grammar schools, farm communities and everywhere in between. But things really took off when 18th-century nobles realised it was a great sport.
- The oldest surviving set of cricket laws date from 1744 – printed on a handkerchief, naturally. It’s now in the MCC Museum at Lord’s in London. The oldest permanent fixture is the annual Eton v Harrow match, played since 1805. A young Lord Byron turned out for Harrow in the first match, though history doesn’t record how poetic – or “mad, bad and dangerous” – his bowling was.
- The first international match was in 1877 when Australia beat England in Melbourne. The match was dubbed a “Test”, since the gruelling nature of playing over five days was deemed the ultimate “test” for any side. But it was Australia’s first win on English soil – in 1882 at The Oval in London – that led to matches between the two nations being christened the Ashes. Following the defeat, newspapers published an obituary mourning “the death of English cricket”, adding that “the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia”.
- A One Day International (ODI) is a form of limited overs cricket, played between two teams with international status, in which each team faces a fixed number of overs, usually 50. The Cricket World Cup is played in this format. The international one-day game is a late twentieth-century development. The first ODI was played on 5 January 1971 between Australia and England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Attempt any eight of the following questions on the basis of the passage you have read.(1X8=8Marks)
- According to the passage, how did the game of Cricket originate?
- Where can we find the oldest sets of Cricket laws?
- Which match did Lord Byron play?
- When was the first international match played?
- Which countries played that match?
- Why were the matches between Australia and England titled “The Ashes”?
- In which format is the Cricket world cup played ?
- When did the ODIs begin?
- Which word in paragraph no.5 means the same as ‘exhausting’?
1. Gap Filling – Process Writing
Below is the recipe for preparing Chili-Garlic Roasted Broccoli. (2 marks)
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic and chili powder in the bottom of large bowl.
- Add broccoli and mix until spears are coated.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Arrange on baking sheet, and roast 17 to 20 minutes, until florets are brown and crispy at the edges.
This was how I prepared Chili-Garlic Roasted Broccoli the other day. First olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and chili powder (a) ……. ……. in the bottom of large bowl. Next, broccoli (b) ……. …… and (c) ….. ….. until spears were coated. Once this done, the mixture was (d) …. ….. ….. as desired. Finally, the mixture (e) ….. ….. …… at the edges.
2. Reported Speech
- Richard : There was enough time for you to inform me about the bursting of the dam. I am shocked you didn’t call me up to inform that.
- Parker : Please do not suspect me, Richard. Do you think that I deliberately delayed the call? Hadn’t I called up your brother Robert?
- Richard : What is the use calling Robert who is always asleep? Did you think he would have run ten miles to pass the message?
Richard blamed Parker saying that there ………. (a) enough time ……….(b) bursting of the dam. He further told that …….. (c) up to inform that. Parker pleaded to Richard ……… (d) and asked ……… (e) deliberately delayed the call? He asked Richard ……..(f) brother Robert. A little annoyed, Richard asked Parker ……. (g) always asleep. He then wanted to know if Parker …… (h) ten miles to pass the message.
In the following passage one word has been omitted in each line .Write the missing word, in any four sentences of the given paragraph, along with the word that comes before and the word that comes after it in the space provided . ( 4 marks )
|0||Himachal Pradesh a good place for Eco Camp.||Pradesh||is||a|
|1||Pine Hill Eco Camp one of the ecotourism resorts||Camp||is||one|
|2||near Barog Himachal Pradesh. Ecotourism is||Barog||in||Himachal|
|3||gaining popularity each passing day as more||popularity||by||each|
|4||and more people want get away from the||want||to||get|
|5||hectic schedules . This become a favourite tourist spot||This||has||become|
4. Rearrange any four of the following word clusters to make meaningful sentences .(1x 4=4 marks )
- rain water / flooding / helps/ harvesting / in / chances of / reducing
- storm / helps/ also/better/ water/ it / water management / in
- plant growth / in/storing /rainwater / can/ help / improving
- is/ from / stored/ natural and/ pollutants /rain water /free/ man- made
- out/ the/street/ earthquake/another/on/people/ came/ fearing/
- Write an article on the rising materialism that has gripped the lives of people. Mention all the consequences of materialism. Leave a few viable solutions.
- Write a story with the following starting cues:
On October 4 ,we all were decorating our house to celebrate the most long awaited festival , Diwali . My heart was filled with excitement to meet my father after a long gap of six years . But a call from the army headquarter left us stunned…
- You are Sonal/ Samkit of Vidyanjali Public School , Lucknow . You have seen an advertisement in ‘The Times of India ’ related to new batches of ‘Astronomy Club’initiated by National Science Centre , Lucknow starting from the coming fortnight .You wish to join the
Club. Write a letter to the Director, enquiring about the venue , duration ,fee- structure , activities, transportation etc. Invent other necessary details (100-120 words , 8 Marks)
Short Questions. Any four
- What was the secret that the boys kept from the narrator? Should they have kept this secret from him at all? Support your opinion. (2 marks)
- Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the two boys? (2 marks)
- The two children were merely little boys yet the narrator calls them ‘gentlemen.’ Does his tone hint sarcasm? Why/why not? (2 marks)
- How did the war alter the life of Nicola and Jacopo? How did they fight the consequences of the war? (2 marks)
- What precautions did the boys take to keep their miserable predicament in Verona from Lucia? (2 marks)
- Why did Luigi, the narrator’s driver, discourage the narrator and his friend from buying berries from the two boys? (2 marks, 2 points, past tense)
- For Jacopo and Nicola, their struggles to survive equaled another war. Write a note in 120 words. (4 marks, 8 points, past tense)
- Describe the role played by Kitty, Anne’s diary, in her life. (100 words)